15 Steps to Improve Your Google Rankings:
I’ve been doing SEO for 20 years for companies and brands of all sizes. Here are some basic SEO tips that I share with those looking to learn SEO or how to improve their organic rankings.
- Pull a benchmark SEO report here for 10 keywords (first report is free)
- Pick up to 8 keywords and two brand name related keyword phrases; put in your email then view results in Bizwatch
- Determine which keywords you want to improve visibility for, using a service like Wordtracker or Spyfu
- Create a Google Sheet to pull & benchmark your website’s current SEO metatags
- Research all possible keyword phrases for each of your website’s main navigational pages (typically you will have up between 10-25 pages that are part of your main navigation and menu items/drop-down menu pages)
- Each page should have no more than 3 target keyword phrases in which you will optimize & target
- Each page’s target 2-3 keyword phrases should be worked into the page title, not to exceed 72 characters
- Word order makes a difference in the page title. Suggest putting the most popular keyword/phrase at the beginning of the page title
- Add a footer with text links to the main parts of your website, hopefully incorporating your target keywords/phrases
- Write your target keyword phrases for each page into the page’s meta description
- Sign up for a bit.ly account and when you write a social media post on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, make sure you link back to your target keyword phrases/optimized pages using a bit.ly link
- Social media posts should work in the target keyword phrases as well, always linking back to the relevant page on your website.
- We also recommend you invest in paid search to measure whether or not these keyword phrases perform, while you’re working on achieving organic rankings. Paid search enables you to quickly show up in Google, track a keyword’s actual search impressions, to clicks to your website, to convert to a lead/contact form submission or phone call. If you know a paid search keyword converts, then it’s worth working on for months for organic search.
- YouTube is one more way of increasing your chances of showing up organically, but also getting video searches. Create a 15-30 second video for paid search, and an educational video of up to 5 minutes. Tag the video, name it including your target keyword phrases, and embed the video into the page. One of our AdWords educational videos has had over 75,000 views, with zero paid promotion.
- Organic search takes time – be willing to invest in other forms of blogging and offering truly valuable, educational content on your website. This is why people will link back to your website.